OS-160 FX simple set-up

John Pavlick jpavlick at idseng.com
Sat Oct 9 19:40:33 AKDT 2004

Jason,
 A "friends" motor? Hmmmm, is this a Freudian thing? I thought you were a
big electric fan... OK, here are some things your "friend" might be
interested in - One trick you don't hear a lot about regarding tapping the
crankcase for pressure: On the F.I. motors the upper left backplate bolt
hole has a smaller hole drilled through the boss that exits into the lower
crankcase. If you disassemble the motor (as you should to change the rear
bearing) you can drill this hole yourself. I believe .0625" / 1/16" works.
Replace the upper left backplate bolt with the pressure fitting from the
F.I. motor and you're ready for the pump. Another good thing to do is mount
the needle valve (and pump) on the firewall NOT the motor. Let the motor
mount isolate the needle and pump from the vibration. Bob Pastorello has a
wealth of knowledge on his site and he seems to be very happy with these big
O.S. motors. Tell your "friend" this is a good motor choice and the best
part is he won't have to wait for an hour to charge batteries.

John Pavlick
http://www.idseng.com

---