Practice tools

Don McCullough donald_mccullough at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 7 16:37:59 AKDT 2004

Wade,

My biggest concern with outriggers is the ability to turn a large prop.
I have used the Razor 400 with the stock 5.3:1 GWS gearbox and also the
HiMaxx 2015-4100 with the Hi-Max 6:1 gearbox. Both can turn an 11-7 prop
with ease. With smaller props the plane is faster but vertical really
suffers. Based on the AXI's 1250 rpm/v rating I doubt it would swing a
prop larger than a 9-7. The HiMaxx is a great combination for about $66
for motor/gearbox. The gearbox is much quieter than the GWS and much
more rugged. That would be my recommendation for the Formosa.

As to the Formosa II, it should also be a great plane, but would require
a much more powerful motor, probably the HiMaxx 2025 with gearbox, and
2amp Thunder Tiger next gen cells.

Feel free to contact me directly if you have any questions. This is a
good time as I am just starting my second Formosa. Hopefully I will
bring out the Formosa next year to a pattern meet.

Enjoy,

Don