wing tip shape (now Knife Edge Trimming!)

John Pavlick jpavlick at idseng.com
Fri Nov 26 16:19:28 AKST 2004

Keith,
 I agree - well sort of. Although I too suffer from the philosophical
problem of using computer mixing (among others), sometimes there's nothing
you can do if you didn't build the plane or have plans etc. Ideally, the
design should be flight tested by the designer before distributing it to the
market. Any bad tendencies should at least be minimized. At least that's
what you expect when you spend a lot of money on one of the more expensive
pattern ARFs. In today's age of what I call "Hurry Up, Hurry Up, F#@! It Up"
we're lucky the parts are even glued on the cheap ones. I've had a few
planes that roll couple with the rudder quite a bit. Since it's too late to
"remove" dihedral I had to "mix it out". Certainly a lot less work to fly
than the alternative of manually mixing ailerons and rudder when making line
corrections. When I do a review for a magazine, I always mention any bad
traits or trim idiosyncrasies. I wish more guys would do this. There's
nothing worse than reading a review of "a great airplane that flies like a
pattern ship" only to find out that it just looks like a pattern ship.
Luckily the radio can save the day, but it shouldn't have to! Joe Bridi used
to build several prototypes before publishing plans or releasing a kit. His
planes fly very predictably. Some were better than others but certainly a
good deal of time was spent on the design before he felt it was ready for
the public. Maybe it has something to do with putting your name on it. Has
anyone ever met Mr. "Rising Star ARF"? I wonder if he flies pattern...

John Pavlick
http://www.idseng.com