wing tip shape (now surface hinging)

Keith Black tkeithb at comcast.net
Fri Nov 26 15:25:53 AKST 2004

Matt, my reply wasn't intended for you, it was for Ted's benefit. You're answer stated that to top hinge would be OK if he had the horn located correctly to produce symmetrical throw top and bottom. For me this left the impression that it might be *necessary* to find the exact symmetrical location. My "color commentary" comment was simply bring up the point for Ted that it's not necessary to find the *exact* point because he can always adjust the end points using his radio. It wasn't my intention to suggest that either you or Ted didn't know how to do this.

BTW, I agree that it's better to have a sound mechanical setup. You don't want to have your servo moving only 50% of it's entire range or 110% in one direction and only 55% in the other.  However, I don't understand the hang-up some people have about not wanting to use the throw adjustment our radios provide beyond a "few percent" (by the way, what is a few percent).  What's the big deal? Do you really think you can tell the difference if a 15% up and down deflection on your ailerons requires the servo to travel 110% up and only 85% down? You move the stick and the ailerons move the exact point you want within fractions of a millimeter. With the resolution we have I just don't understand how this makes any difference, *especially* when it comes to the elevator. It's common place to have different up/down deflections on the elevator anyways. As long as it's not a gross error that would noticeably effect the resolution or torque of the servo, what's the big deal if the adjustments are done mechanically vs. electronically?

If there are really good reasons I'm definitely open to learning these. :-)

Keith Black