wing tip shape (now Knife Edge Trimming!)

Keith Black tkeithb at comcast.net
Fri Nov 26 15:39:39 AKST 2004

OK, now I'll rant about the mixing issue. I understand that the "ideal" plane should not require any mixing rudder to elevator or ailerons. But if your plane has those bad tendencies I say MIX THEM OUT! Jeeze, why do you want to make your job harder based on some philosophical problem with using computer mixing? Hey, does the stealth bomber have any mixing? How awful if it does, we should turn that off and let the pilots deal with it manually!!!

OK, I know that's ridiculous, but my point is that I think it's silly to avoid mixing just because the plane "shouldn't" need it.

Some will argue that any mixing you do to correct one problem will cause problems in other conditions. In some cases this may be true, and I certainly wouldn't leave the plane completely out of alignment and try to compensate for a crooked plane with mixes, but a tuck here, a nip there... wait that's the cosmetic surgery rant... what I mean is if your plane tucks, pulls or rolls with rudder... mix it out! Then buy a new plane in hopes that it will be perfect, then when it's not, put in the mixes again and never admit it ;-)

Keith Black