wing tip shape (now Knife Edge Trimming!)

Ted Sander tedsander at comcast.net
Fri Nov 26 15:01:46 AKST 2004

Geez, this subject just keeps morphing!  Matt caused it! <grin>

 I swept away the wreckage of my Funtana 90 to work on my new wing today.
The story was:

2 ½ flights on this new ARF this past summer.  Generally very nice flyer,
except there was modest roll and a tremendous amount of down (wheels) pitch
with rudder.  Flutter got me coming out of a stall turn (horns were a tad
too short as compared to servo arms), stripped both aileron servos.  Cut the
throttle, and tried to make a flat left turn back to the field.  Plane
pitched down radically, I pulled up in reaction, you can guess the rest

I knew I should have mixed in a lot of up to rudder.  But what would have
been valid mechanical changes to trim out the pitching?  Lower the stab?
Play with incidence (verticals were pretty straight)?  I might even buy
another, and be more conservative in setup – but only if there are some ways
to tackle the pitching problem beyond mixing.  Any advice?

Ted