Wing Tip Shapes

ORLANDO FRETS ojfrets at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 24 11:02:35 AKST 2004

Here is my $.02 worth.........not that I am an accomplished flyer, nor am I
a bad flyer.
I have designed and built several airplanes capable of pattern schedules.
They have used ailerons tip to tip and rounded wing tips. Approximately 8
years ago, I started using ailerons that were several inches short of the
tip and continued 3"-4" shy of the fuselage. This kept them out of any
disturbed air stream. The difference is noticeable. I also use a vertical
piece at the end of the aileron at the wing tip side that is as tall as the
maximum deflection of the aileron, this acts sort of like a fence. It is
only the width of the aileron and not the wing. Seems to be effective as
low deflection is required. This could be a combination of things. The wing
tips are rounded on the top and bottom only, for ease of construction and
covering.
About the hinge line, instead of using a triangular shape on the leading
edge surface, I round them off. I find that as the surface moves, the gap
is maintained as a tight seal. No sealing of gap required. This applies to
rudder and elevators.
The above is what works for me.

ORLANDO FRETS
Project Manager