wing tip shape

Wayne Galligan wgalligan at goodsonacura.com
Wed Nov 24 12:04:22 AKST 2004

Wing tip shape will generally affect the drag issue.  Different shapes
designed to reduce the vortex created by the tip.  Booster tips and winglets
being the most common design as seen on most of the modern full size
designs.

Test results from a model Prescott Pusher 1/5 scale being built.   Some
tests on a this model airplane with std tips and shaped or booster tips(tips
shaped downwards) did improve the stall characteristics.  With the shaped
booster tips the model would not spin upright but would go into a long
spiral dive, however, inverted would spin and recover as with a normal wing
tip.    RCM 4-2004 pg 114

In a pattern plane I don't think the shape, as long as it is shaped
symmetrically, would have any if little effect on the way our planes fly.
I do agree that taking the aileron all the way out just puts it in the
vortex and can only decrease the effectiveness at the tip.   Like Troy said,
and I agree,  make it look good and go fly.

Smooth FLying...

Wayne Galligan