Support for Masters Pilots

Eric Henderson Eric.henderson at comcast.net
Mon Nov 15 20:41:01 AKST 2004

I must have done this snap maneuver a whole bunch of times since 2002. At first you are uncomfortable because you really are in unfamiliar territory. Then it gradually becomes routine as you perfect your timing. Once mastered you will wonder why it was such a big deal.

It was designed so that you entered the loop inverted going downwind. This results in you heading upwind and upright just as you perform the snap. This was planned to minimizes the fear-factor and any panic moments.

As you get familiar with this maneuver you may actually find yourself adding power before and during the snap. Yes, I said adding power.

Adding about 1/4 throttle gives the snap some exit authority. At first you instinctively do the snap with down-glide-power only. The result is often a hard-to-stop-accurately snap. Adding some power seems to give a much better "cone" at the back. I suspect that this is due to the airflow over the tail feathers continuing though the maneuver. Try a few going straight and level and vary your speeds and see if you see what I saw....

Also just banging full power after the snap doesn't seem to give as good a climb out as gradually adding power all the way around the remaining half loop.

Ref. The length of the 1/4-1/2-1/4 roll, it should be a little bit shorter than a 4-point-roll because it is a 4-point roll with one point missing.

Ref. The reverse KE, beware of trying to do super long KE components. It's not a requirement.

Nite,

Eric.