Focus Cowl Needed

Earl Haury ehaury at houston.rr.com
Wed May 12 12:32:50 AKDT 2004

Larry

If you want to put a bit of work into it, the cowl can be repaired without gaining much weight. Start by cleaning it throughly with degreaser and soap/water. Install some reinforcement "ribbons" using carbon roving (Dave Brown or Aerospace Composites) with a flexible CA to the interior to stiffen it to your liking.

Fill any serious holes (needle valve size and up) by applying masking tape to the exterior, then cover the hole from the inside using a 3 to 5 oz. carbon (or glass) cloth patch. Saturate with a good grade of laminating resin (epoxy - West Systems) and blot most of the epoxy off with a roll of toilet tissue (blot 'til clean tissue is dry). When cured, sand the interior with 80 grit dry to remove sharp edges.

Sand the paint from the areas that are cracked, around repaired holes, etc. using 220 wet/dry. Fill imperfections that are more than just cracks with  a good two part filler (I prefer PPG K-36 Prima with talc added to make a paste.) Glue any cracks with the new flexible thin CA. Sand filler / CA flush.

Apply strips of 0.6 oz. glass cloth over the cracks using finishing resin, again blot off excess with the tissue. Wet sand (320), feathering the edges of the glass to the surrounding areas, prime, and paint.

I recently repaired a large carbon canopy that had been mangled in a crash using these techniques and gained 20 grams from new weight.

Earl