Monokote help required

rcaerobob at cox.net rcaerobob at cox.net
Wed Mar 17 07:31:51 AKST 2004

Peter - sounds like you could have "over prepared", but perhaps it's simpler....no offense intended here, but have you checked the actual SURFACE of the shoe iron?  I've had irons with thermostats get kind of squirrelly before, and had worse symptoms than you, but it was CLEARLY overheating.  Maybe something to confirm.  At the same time, confirm that you're running JUST over the "stick" temperature (I do that using a scrap of the same wood to test apply a piece)....

> From: EHaury at aol.com
> Date: 2004/03/17 Wed AM 11:13:48 EST
> To: discussion at nsrca.org
> Subject: Re: Monokote help required
>
> A disclaimer first - I don't claim to be an expert with Monokote!
>
> That being said, my experience is that the "polished" super smooth wood
> presents a surface akin to MK over MK, no avenues for gasses to escape and bubbles.
> The fix is to take a new (sharp) piece of 320 wet/dry and make one pass over
> wood span wise and one pass chord wise. The "micro-channels" cut by the 320
> will allow gasses to escape when you to use just sufficient heat to activate the
> MK adhesive. The "grooves" cut by the sanding will not show through the
> finish. Be sure and clean after sanding with a vacuum, compressed air, and tack
> rag. I also find white to be less tolerant than other colors.
>
> Earl

Bob Pastorello, El Reno, OK, USA
rcaerobob at cox.net
www.rcaerobats.net