Monokote help required

Andre Bouchard akfai at gci.net
Wed Mar 17 19:54:31 AKST 2004

As Earl and I had in the past commiserated quite a bit about this issue, I thought I would chime in.

First, the disclaimer: I am not a Monokote expert, just a long time sufferer.

Having used Monokote for 33+ years, I can say that it does not stick as well as it once did.  It was good product 10 years+ ago.  I was able to Monokote a fiberglass fuselage once and it looked pretty good (Earl will testify).  No way can I do that today as it does not stick as well.

I can say from personal experience that Earl's recommendation ("micro-channels") works very well.  It probably cuts in half the time required to lay a piece of Monokote--less chasing of bubbles.  There are guys out there who can Monokote a glass ball.  I admire them.  Their keys to success appear to be: a proper temperature iron(s) and patience, patience and more patience.  For the less patient folks (me), the sandpaper trick is a good short-cut.

Aside: I got into a real problem once with air trapping on some wings skinned with polyurethane glue.  The expansion of the glue resulted in almost zero permeability to air through the wood; I usually find some permeability with epoxy skinned wings (at least with my work).  Peeled off a lot of Monokote on that one.

Ultracote: Great product.  It is much easier to use, but I still like the shine of Monokote next to the PPG.

Regards,

Andre'