Artistic Aerobatics and future thinking

Lance Van Nostrand patterndude at comcast.net
Sat Jan 24 18:45:52 AKST 2004

Adam,
I like the idea of unknowns.  It is fun in IMAC, which is where I first got
exposed to it.  Last year at a pattern contest the FAI guys decided to fly
F-05 in the last round.  Some had never flown it and one of these virgins
actually won the round.  It had EVERYONE watching that round.  I know this
would increase interest, at least among pilots.
   However, more work has to be done to figure out the best way to make it
part of the weekend and still allow the traditional contest to dominate.  6
round contests could be 4 traditional and 2 unknowns,but what about those
contests that have only 4 or 5 rounds?  It would seem to be a competition
rather than a fun fly you'd need at least 2 rounds to allow for improvement.
I guess if the sequences are limited to about 10 manuvers, they wouldn't
take too long and a CD could better ensure the opportunity for 2 rounds of
it.

--Lance