Artistic Aerobatics and future thinking

Adam Glatt adam.g at sasktel.net
Fri Jan 23 20:47:40 AKST 2004

I think Eric has a good idea by making the pattern more controlled by
those who fly it.  Another way to accomplish this is to allow the pilot
to become more involved.  Am I the only one who has noticed that some of
the most frequently asked questions are about rule changes, proposals,
and the time schedule of the whole thing?  As the SIG in AMA for
precision aerobatics, it seems this should be a function of the
nsrca.org website.  Not a big change, but if we think a degree of
dynamism is going to make pattern more enjoyable (which I think it can
without sacrificing its existing qualities), this seems a useful step.
Maybe district websites could have monthly polls where pilots in the
district vote for the upcoming contest's unknown maneuver (though a vote
of hands at the pilots meeting should probably decide it).

How about an Unknown class at the Nats?  Open to anyone, fly two rounds,
one pattern, a little easier than the World's unknowns to make it
possible for many to fly (no three opposite rolls rolling circle), and
fly it twice to make improvement important.  Sounds like more fun than
AA to me.

# discussion-request at nsrca.org