Artistic Aerobatics and future thinking

Nat Penton natpenton at centurytel.net
Fri Jan 23 16:38:35 AKST 2004

Eric, that is a brilliant idea. It will certainly enhance the attractiveness of the sport to the participant.----- Original Message -----
  From: Henderson,Eric
  To: discussion at nsrca.org
  Sent: Friday, January 23, 2004 7:01 PM
  Subject: RE: Artistic Aerobatics and future thinking

   I acknowledge, in advance, that this note is a lecture (so you can hit delete now if you like), but we are prisoners of current thinking and if I can get one mind to leap, it will be worth the exposure.

       The world is driven by many factors.  We make a lot of decisions based upon what has happened in the past.

  In the days of sailing boats it took 3 months to cross the Atlantic. Even though faster boats shortened the journey times, all you still had to do to be successful was plan better and be more efficient. You only needed to plan based upon the past.

  Then along came steam and reduced the transit time to a few weeks. Still, all you had to do was just become more efficient and perhaps a little bit more responsive to your clients' desires.

  Now we have Transatlantic jetliner travel that does the journey in a few hours. It is still OK to be efficient but now the dimension of having to become a lot more anticipative of customer needs is much more present. "He who looks ahead begins to get ahead!"

  Even more "Now",  than jet flight is the Internet. Information of every imaginable kind now travels faster than I can type a word. Just becoming efficient is now almost irrelevant. Planning and thinking in the future will be what differentiates the winners from the also rans.

  In our part of the sport we were years behind with getting a web-site up and running. We just kept doing what we always did as efficiently as we could. (I think IMAC was a leader with their website and they accordingly reaped a harvest).

  In the case of Artistic Aerobatics and the new FAI scale aerobatics class, they are both really just a set of actions based upon what has been done before by scale aerobatics. If we think in the terms of our future needs then we can ignore what is "history" and begin looking at what is needed to meet our future and be ready.

  We are currently working on a new video. If we were looking at things from a futuristic point of view we should at least be building a navigable DVD. Why don't we add a pilot-nominated maneuver at the end of the fixed schedules - just to shake it up a bit....

  I'll leave you hanging there because the next part is yours...anticipate then suggest.

  Regards,

  Eric.