My Head is Spinning! (Long)

David Lockhart DaveL322 at comcast.net
Sat Jan 10 07:40:27 AKST 2004

Nik,

>From your time in the US, I remember calling a flight or two for you, and I also recall your 4C ran very nicely and that you were knowledgeable, comfortable, and confident with your equipment/setup.  I suspect a 2C would also perform well for you (allowing for a learning curve as with any new engine).  For now, if a 4C idles better for you, it may the best engine for you.  If the only engines I'd ever seen quit at idle were 2Cs, I might share your opinion on this topic.

Over the past 5 years of running pattern 2Cs (approx 4,000 flights), depending on the weather conditions, prop, plane, etc - I've been running the idle on my pattern 2Cs at launch at somewhere between 1,500 and 1,800 RPM - most will idle slower if I care, but the lower idle just beats up the airframe (still nothing near as bad as the 4C idle tho), so I don't bother.  Outside of deliberate testing (to learn, understand, define operating parameters), I rarely have deadsticks (save when I run out of fuel, which is often enough <G>).  If my engine quits at idle, 90% of the time it is the plug - and I've been known to get complacement with changing the plug as it generally lasts for 200-300 flights.  A couple times the problem was that I had the idle "kill" switch active.  A couple times it was throttle servo showing wear on the pot (after many, many flights, think 500+).  Plugs, kill switches, and servo pots are all easy preventive maintenance and equally affect 2C or 4Cs (tho they affect those with "old timers" disease and CRS with a vengeance).

Without having been at the EC or WC or knowing any of the particulars of the dead sticks or the pilots that had the deadsticks, it is quite difficult for me to comment.  I doubt any of the pilots that had the deadsticks anticipated or expected any deadsticks - or routinely experienced deadsticks prior to the Worlds - I would think that the majority of the pilots at the Worlds would have reliable equipment - especially the "peak" competitors.

I reguarly attend the US Nats and have seen plenty of 4Cs die in the air (2Cs as well).  The year the DZ was introduced, several did not make it into the air at all (bit of a learning curve initially with that engine, as with many engines, and it seemed pretty indiscriminate of "peak" or novice flyer).  This year at the US Nats F3A Finals and US Team Trials, a couple 4Cs were having problems (some 2Cs as well, one was mine and completely my own fault - a rather untimely brain "fade" <G>).  Your statement that "a deadstick after say, a long downline, is ALWAYs a 2C" is not at all consistent with what I have seen at local and national contests in the US (from "peak" flyers through novice flyers).

The first 3 US Nationals I attended I had no plan or hope of placing near the top of my class - but I did participate in those contests equally with those in attendance who were "peak" flyers and did have aspirations of winning the class.  Point being, just because I flew at the US Nationals did not mean I was a "peak" flyer - but I was equal to the "peak" flyers in many respects and competed at the Nationals just as the "peak" flyers (in a sense, by definition, not all the competitors at a competion can be "peak" competitors).

Again, if I'd only ever seen 2Cs die at idle in the air, I might share your opinion.  As it is, enjoy the consistent idle of your (4C) engine, and I'll enjoy the consistent idle of my (2C) engine.

Regards,

Dave Lockhart
DaveL322 at comcast.net