My Head Is Spinning!

Keith Black tkeithb at comcast.net
Thu Jan 8 19:11:04 AKST 2004

I don't think you could go wrong with the Mintor 1.40 or 1.70, OS 1.40, or Webra 1.45.

I personally run the Webra 1.45 and a Bully (same as Webra but with dual glow plugs). If you know how to adjust the pump pressure the Webras work great. I frequently get very seasoned pattern fliers ask me what I'm flying when they see how well it pulls. Almost without exception they're surprised when I tell them it's a Webra 1.45. The Webra is also very fuel efficient, I commonly fly for 18-19 minutes on a 21 oz tank (Intermediate schedule).

The OS 1.40RX is also a superb engine that is very time tested. Lots of guys are flying this engine with super results. It's more expensive than the Webra and has a better known brand name, but honestly I'm not convinced that it's any better. Fuel efficiency is probably about the same, but I don't have any personal experience to verify this. The OS 1.40 is heavier than the Webra, I think two or three ounces.

The Mintor is truly a thing of beauty. The construction is incredible and certain design features allow it to be disassembled easier than other engines. I've not seen the 1.40 fly but the 1.70 is an absolute beast! It will accelerate going straight up with an 11 lb. plane. When gunning this engine in level flight you can literally see the plane jump. Personally I don't feel that I need this much power in Intermediate or Advanced since I already have three and a half Webras, but since you're starting from scratch it's definitely a good candidate. Down sides are that the 1.70 is thirstier, it's more expensive than the Webra, and it doesn't have as long of a track record, however I think some on the list such as Eric Henderson have several hundred flights on this engine. The Mintor is also very light, I'm not sure of the exact weight but it's close to the Webra (both being lighter than the OS).

I have no experience with the YS but I know it's an awesome engine. The things that keep me away from the YS (as in Intermediate flier) is that it cost about twice as much as my Webras, eats much more fuel, and requires much more expensive fuel. It's also quite a bit heaver than the Webra. Some say it requires more maintenance, others disagree, I'll stay out of that debate. On the other hand as a four stroke it has much quicker throttle response and incredible torque. I can appreciate this because I have flown four strokes, just not the YS 1.40. I have heard that the Mintor 1.70 has very quick throttle response, but I find it hard to believe it is as good as a four stroke. For me the YS performance isn't worth the additional engine and fuel expense at this early stage in my pattern flying. The most important thing for me was a straight plane and a dependable engine so I can put up as many flights as possible. The Webra/Bully was the cheapest and guys that I fly with have experience with it so that's what I chose.

BTW, if you go with the Webra don't feel like you *need* to get the 1.60. I've found the 1.45 has plenty of power. One of my flying buddies has flown my plane through the FAI P05 schedule, and at 11 lbs it had plenty of power.  I'm sure the 1.60 is an awesome engine, and everyone is bragging about the MC carb, but it isn't necessary if you can get the 1.45 cheaper. Also, the MC carb requires an additional servo and is another variable to mess with when setting it up. If you set the pump pressure correctly the 1.45 with the standard carb flies great.

Hope this helps.

Keith Black