Nose rings, WAS Re: TEST- now motor mount Poll

Bob Pastorello rcaerobob at cox.net
Tue Jan 6 16:09:18 AKST 2004

Understand.  It took awhile to figure out what I wanted to DO, and no,
didn't take picts.
    1.  Picture a plywood sandwich. 1/16" hard a/c ply for the outer faces
(front and rear)
    2.  Separating the sandwich is the thickness of the o-ring.  In this
case, 3/16".
    3.  On the centers of the insides of both faces, draw circles that match
the OD of the O ring; in this case, 1 3/16".  Make a couple of curved 3/16"
spacers that are cut to match the OD radius of the ring.  I made a "donut",
whose i.d. was 1 3/16, and OD was 1 7/16".  This is glued to one of the
inside surfaces of the 1/16" ply plates, such that about half of the o-ring
will be visible from the face side.
    4.  In the exact centers of the ply faces, cut round holes (a Forstner
bit is indispensable here) that is 1/8" LESS than the OD of the o-ring.
Place the o-ring inside the i.d. of the spacer donut.  Glue on the OTHER
face TO the spacer donut.
    5.  Make a couple of 3/16" ply spacers that you'll locate where you
mount the nose ring assembly to hardwood blocks, dowels, whatever, that
you've mounted in the nose of the fuse.
    6.  To replace the O ring, simply lift it out of it's sandwich groove
between the faces, lube up the new one, pop it in place.

Center is always center.  O rings are easily replaced, and the plywood parts
should last approximately forever.  And be reusable from plane to plane, if
you don't feel like making another.

Bob Pastorello, Oklahoma
NSRCA 199, AMA 46373
rcaerobob at cox.net