Excelleron with OS 91FX in Intermediate ?

Bob Pastorello rcaerobob at cox.net
Wed Dec 22 02:58:53 AKST 2004

In the few flights I put on this airplane with the new, muffled, 91 2-stroke, it was rapidly apparent that these guys had done their homework.  I was also nose heavy (the CG needs to be 7.25 aft of leading edge), so mine was a little 'heavy' on the stick in pitch.  However, it is a very solid airframe, rolls very cleanly, straight, didn't need differential.  Vertical line tracking was exceptional;  it would drop dead straight, no pitching.  Knife edge has NO roll couple, and only VERY slight belly pitch.

The wing lets it decellerate rapidly, and you can just drag it up to your spin entry, nose high, nearly stopped then = BANG, nose drops without a wing wiggle, and it will do a VERY nice rudder/elev only spin.  Exits on a dime!  Snaps are the same;  I didn't find a need to lead any control inputs for the up or down 45 snaps.  ANd the Reverse Avalanche is wonderful.  Airplane stops at the snap, throttle up, and finish the loop.... very cool.

It's a keeper, and certainly ended up being way more than a "knockaround" practice plane for me.

Bob Pastorello
NSRCA 199  AMA 46373
rcaerobob at cox.net
www.rcaerobats.net