December K-Factor

Don Szczur dszczur at maranatha.net
Sat Dec 18 14:33:11 AKST 2004

Thank you for the attention, thank you for the support and thank you for your confidence in my ability to write.  Its been a fun week, I got to see Joseph's Christmas program Thursday, then our weekly bible study group with desert.  It was a really good desert, with chocolate cake (the German Chocolate kind).  We got to see a live nativity scene last night, live camel, live sheep, live people.

Ok, now I'm listening.  RCU, the NSCRA website, this e-mail list and the K-factor all have strengths. However, I learned everything I know about getting started in Pattern from Ron Van Putte.  I read every single monthly column in Model Aviation.  I still remember what his plane recommendations were.  I flew a Kaos at my first NATS.  I remember the articles about proper dihedral for setting up a pattern plane.  I remember the story about the person who sawed his wing in half to get the correct dihedral.  I remember all the suggestions on building, flying and coaching techniques.  I remember the vinyl spacling to fill fiberglass fuselage seams.   I even remember the RC License Plates.  Ron, you were my inspiration.

In my opinion, the model aviation column is the single largest outreach tool for NSRCA. It reaches 100 times the audience.

RCU.  This is kind ol like Toledo.  There are many "booths" and visitors come by and visit.  Its quick and accessible. There are thousands of people who log in to RCU, so its a great place to see what's going on in Pattern. Troy has got some incredibly helpul information in the pattern section.  Lots of other NSRCA member contribute to this section as well.

NSRCA website.  This is a great place for rules, pattern data...  lots of technical data for CD's and other things that generally specific to the organization.

I personally read the K factor to find out who is competing where, how they are placing, what events and activity are going on in the country with regard to Pattern, and rules, discussion of judging. I like the idea of it being mailed to me.  I'm a member of IMAC and have not received (or read) a copy of that newsletter for about 2 years.  I printed a few off from the website when they stopped mailing,  but generally found it to be more work than its worth- scanning it on line  just does not do it justice.  I would read it once and then close the window. The advantage of a published, mailed hard copy K factor is significant.  I bring them to the field and hand them out, I take them on an airliner when on a business trip, I read them before going to bed, etc..  Its great.

I'll be happy to put together something for the K-factor, but believe that a monthly column back in Model Aviation would be optimum.  Eric Henderson has done a great job in his writing of this column.

Well, a few random thoughts...  Happy Holidays!

Don