December K-Factor

Ron Van Putte vanputte at cox.net
Sat Dec 18 14:56:50 AKST 2004

On Dec 18, 2004, at 5:31 PM, Don Szczur wrote:

> Thank you for the attention, thank you for the support and thank you
> for your confidence in my ability to write.  Its been a fun week, I
> got to see Joseph's Christmas program Thursday, then our weekly bible
> study group with desert.  It was a really good desert, with chocolate
> cake (the German Chocolate kind).  We got to see a live nativity scene
> last night, live camel, live sheep, live people.
>
> Ok, now I'm listening.  RCU, the NSCRA website, this e-mail list and
> the K-factor all have strengths. However, I learned everything I know
> about getting started in Pattern from Ron Van Putte.  I read every
> single monthly column in Model Aviation.  I still remember what his
> plane recommendations were.  I flew a Kaos at my first NATS.  I
> remember the articles about proper dihedral for setting up a pattern
> plane.  I remember the story about the person who sawed his wing in
> half to get the correct dihedral.  I remember all the suggestions on
> building, flying and coaching techniques.  I remember the vinyl
> spacling to fill fiberglass fuselage seams.   I even remember the RC
> License Plates.  Ron, you were my inspiration.

Thanks for the kind words.  However, I remember that the first time we
met at a contest, we were both in Advanced.  It was a six-round contest
and I won the first three rounds, but you won the next three rounds.
Your highest score, other than the three rounds you won was higher than
the highest score I had, other than the three rounds I won, so you won
the contest.  Some way to treat your inspiration!

BTW, I was flying a top-of-the-line Atlanta and Don had an old, ratty
Curare.

Ron Van Putte