Election questions

Derek Koopowitz derekkoopowitz at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 14 20:56:39 AKST 2004

Troy/everyone,

Here are my answers to your questions:

1. Membership numbers are down. I have records as a former District VP from
late in 2000 that we had well over 1300 members. Today I believe our numbers
are roughly 1/2 this. What are your (Lamar-Derek) plans to increase
membership?

I don't recall our numbers being that high in 2000 but still. that is a good
target to shoot for.  We talked about pattern primers at the last board
meeting as a good tool that can be used to show other R/C pilots what
pattern is all about and I know that not all districts have utilized this
"tool" to its full extent.  This needs to be pushed out continually by the
district VP's with the full understanding that the NSRCA will fund the
primer (up to $50).  It is also incumbent on each and every NSRCA member to
continue to recruit members from their local clubs or spectators at a
contest.  I mentioned in my campaign statement that there are a bunch of
"pattern" ARF's now available in the .40 - .90 size and we should leverage
off that availability whether it be asking Great Planes (or other quality
manufacturers such as Horizon) if we could include a flyer in the box of
these kits that highlights the NSRCA as a membership organization that can
provide them information about aerobatics.  I would solicit input from
everyone on how to attract/grow membership - I only have enough memory space
to come up with some ideas and there are a lot of very creative people out
there that I'm sure have some great ideas too.  I would also encourage all
the VP's that have R/C trade shows in their area to host an NSRCA booth and
to solicit help from the members to man the booth - there is nothing finer
than having a well built and well painted pattern plane on display in a
booth - especially the new designs.  Electrics are becoming a huge component
of R/C now and that is another area that we need to focus.

2. Given the current poor Financial status of the NSRCA, how do you intend
(Lamar-Derek) to increase the funds in the bank? I see this financial
situation as a serious crisis that has been brewing as membership numbers
fall, and advertising dollars become less visible due to lower circulation.
Low income breeds less products and services offered to the membership which
in turn breeds less members. I consider our society to be strong however, I
feel we are dangerously close to critical mass. Obviously the KF is the
biggest expense we have.

Hmmm. I'm not sure I agree with you on the fact the NSRCA is in poor
financial health.  We're in GREAT shape financially, Troy.  As of today we
have over $25,000 in the bank and we haven't even begun to receive renewals
yet!!!  This organization was in dire financial straits back in 1998/1999
but that was then - not now.  We have a healthy bank balance and have more
than enough money to maintain the same level of quality, and improve it, if
we have to.  For instance, changing our publisher for the K-Factor alone is
saving us $1000 a month!!  If you have received your December issue of the
K-Factor then you'll see what we are getting for a cheaper price - if you
haven't received it then your jaw will hit the floor when you do get it.
And with the new publisher I am positive that we'll keep our current set of
advertisers and it will give us the ability to attract a new set of
advertisers.  We're getting close on the K-Factor - we aren't there yet, but
we'll get there sooner rather than later.  With our previous publisher the
K-Factor was costing us around $3.50 a copy - that does not include any
income from advertising - that is a gross cost.  Our new publisher is about
$2.50 a copy (gross).  I definitely think we need to also pursue different
avenues for distribution - in other words allow for people to download their
copies as a PDF file.  We could then lower the yearly dues for these members
somewhat - not significantly - but there should be a reduction.

One other thing to remember - as a "not for profit" organization our goal
should be to not have a healthy bank balance every year - we should be
operating at close to a break-even point.  We do make a profit on certain
items though - the Nats usually brings in an additional $1,000 to $2,000
every year, and our merchandise sales also is profitable for us (not much
though).  The past several years we have been operating at a loss though -
around $4,000 every year BUT that is because our bank balance has been very
healthy so we've been able to afford that loss.  Obviously we can not
continue to do that and the savings on publishing the K-Factor alone will
more than make up for that loss over the next year - just think. a $12,000 a
year savings just on the K-Factor!!!

3. As an FAI pilot in the USA I am a member of the society. I know that both
of you fly FAI as well. There has been talk of  Masters and FAI being at
odds for presstime and or focus from the society. What are your ideas on the
interaction between FAI and the Masters levels?

There are different opinions on where our focus truly lies, or should lie -
my belief is that our focus should be on supporting pattern in general.  Why
do we have to draw a distinction between Masters and FAI?  We definitely
need to be mindful of both camps just like we need to be mindful of the
Advanced pilot that may never advance to Masters due to skill levels
deteriorating, etc.  All we have to do as a governing body is be
collaborative and work with everyone - all classes - to come up with
solutions that benefit everyone - a win/win for all involved.  We shouldn't
divide ourselves into camps - the Masters pilots versus the FAI pilots, for
instance.

4. What are your plans to work with the AMA on rules changes and how we work
in the process? Do you feel the NSRCA should be a guiding light for the
rules change process and hence we should have our own destiny in our hands?
Or do you think that the AMA as our parent organization is the guiding light
and we should be a sounding board and data collection source for that AMA
contest Board?

Hot topic with me and one that needs to be addresses NOW.  We need to have
our proposals into AMA by September 30th next year (2005) and that means we
need to jump on this ASAP.  I definitely am of the opinion we should control
our own rules - so I intend to work with the AMA to see what we can do to
accomplish this goal.  I have a great working relationship with them and I'm
extremely familiar with the rules process.  Our rules need to be as flexible
as possible - meaning that we should be able to control the content sooner,
rather than later, with the ability to make changes and publish them
quickly.  The same goes for the schedules - we should have the ability to
change our schedules quickly, or to modify them as we see a need, in order
for us to become more attractive to the new pattern pilot.  This is one area
where IMAC has succeeded - by having their schedules outside of the AMA
rules - it allows them much more flexibility in their ability to change
their schedules.

5. Since the NSRCA's most visible contribution to Pattern of late is the AMA
NATS. What are your ideas to improve and better relationships with the AMA
and run a better NATS? Knowing that things have gotten better every year and
that in reality the NATS is have been a success there is still room for
major improvement. Where do you think this improvement should be made?

I definitely think the Nats can improve.  We've been very successful at
maintaining our attendance levels at this event over the past 7 or 8 years.
IMAC's attendance has dropped off dramatically over the last few years and
I'm not sure where they are headed.  We should not get complacent either.
With regard to how we can improve. See my note to Bob Pastorello. but I'll
include my response here as well.  I'm not a huge fan of the matrix system
that is in use at the Nats for Masters/F3A, and so we should poll all past
Nats participants (current NSRCA members) and ask them some pointed
questions with regard to the Matrix system, judging, rounds being flown,
etc. and then use their input to formulate a new/revised Nats format for
Masters/F3A.  This may result in an increase in judging by those that judge
Masters/F3A or it may result in a reduction in the number of rounds being
flown.  Let's get everyone's input and see where it goes - there are some
very smart and creative people out there that I'm sure can come up with some
great solutions.  The matrix system filled the need to fix something that
was definitely broken and it has done a pretty good job over the years,
however, when it does break, it does so in a way that definitely impacts one
or two very good pilots.

One thing that I'm not in favor of is combining the F3A team selection with
the Nats.  This definitely should be a separate event.  Can you imagine if
Chip, Sean, and Jason all had problems during the prelims rounds and didn't
qualify for the finals (just like Dave Lockhart)?  Where would that leave us
as a team (no disrespect to Don S. and others in the finals)?

Hopefully I answered your questions.  Please feel free to follow-up.