Election questions

Troy A. Newman troy_newman at msn.com
Tue Dec 14 06:40:25 AKST 2004

Lamar, and Derek,

Bob Beat me to the punch. I would like to re-direct the topic matter as
well. I wrote the below note last night and wanted to re-read it and make
sure my message was clear.

I would like to change the topic a little. Rather than what is going on now.

I have some questions I would like to ask as a voter. Since I have not
decided where my vote will be cast like many others. As you all know I have
been a DVP and have some insight into the organization that many on this
list might not have. These questions are intended to spark debate in a real
and constructive way. This is opportunity to sell yourself to me and others
in PUBLIC. I considered doing this offline to each of you but felt that many
of the members on this list would like to hear the answers as well. Below
are some of my issues and would like to hear your comments.

1. Membership numbers are down. I have records as a former District VP from
late in 2000 that we had well over 1300members. Today I believe our numbers
are roughly 1/2 this. What are your (Lamar-Derek) plans to increase
membership?

2. Given the current poor Financial status of the NSRCA, how do you intend
(Lamar-Derek) to increase the funds in the bank? I see this financial
situation as a serious crisis that has been brewing as membership numbers
fall, and advertising dollars become less visible due to lower circulation.
Low income breeds less products and services offered to the membership which
in turn breeds less members. I consider our society to be strong however, I
feel we are dangerously close to critical mass. Obviously the KF is the
biggest expense we have.

3. As an FAI pilot in the USA I am a member of the society. I know that both
of you fly FAI as well. There has been talk of  Masters and FAI being at
odds for presstime and or focus from the society. What are your ideas on the
interaction between FAI and the Masters levels?

4. What are your plans to work with the AMA on rules changes and how we work
in the process? Do you feel the NSRCA should be a guiding light for the
rules change process and hence we should have our own destiny in our hands?
Or do you think that the AMA as our parent organization is the guiding light
and we should be a sounding board and data collection source for that AMA
contest Board?

5. Since the NSRCA's most visible contribution to Pattern of late is the AMA
NATS. What are your ideas to improve and better relationships with the AMA
and run a better NATS? Knowing that things have gotten better every year and
that in reality the NATS is have been a success there is still room for
major improvement. Where do you think this improvement should be made?

Thanks for your time. These were not intended to be loaded questions at all.
Rather they have been pointed at some of these serious issues you guys will
face when elected.

I humbly await a reason to vote for you.

Troy Newman