Enlightening Experience

Don Ramsey donramsey at cox-internet.com
Mon Aug 9 13:26:05 AKDT 2004

Some things you hate to admit especially when you are the dumbest link in the chain.  Hope this might help someone.

Thursday I changed transmitters on my plane.  Also, on that day I changed to a new type of fuel.  During practice, the plane seemed to be a little low on power but not too bad.  I only did 2 flights.

Friday we left for the contest in Lubbock.  Wind that day was quite strong and I only got one flight on the plane because of a problem.  Power was down but it was a little hot, the altitude was 3500 feet where I normally fly at sea level and the strong wind really didn't let me see the power profile.

Saturday is gorgeous, cool with only light winds.  On the first round I realized my power was far off what I needed.  The verticals almost stopped at the top and I was struggling.  Before the second round I added half Magnum 1.5 to the new fuel I was trying. Still no power and struggling thought the tops even with smaller maneuvers.  Third round, change prop without any help.  Fourth round change props again and add some Mag 2 to the fuel mix.  Some help but not enough. Sunday, I'm discouraged and still having power problems.  Fly poorly.

Today I'm looking over my plane and thinking about the contest.  For my backup transmitter I have all the setting recorded that are different from the other trx.  There is nothing about the throttle there so it must be the same.  I got the trx and opened the throttle while looking at the engine.  You guessed it, it's only open about 3 quarters.

I'm still trying to learn the obvious.  If you've got a problem, first check the obvious.

Don