Practice Regiment

Rick Wallace rickwallace45 at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 29 02:42:33 AKDT 2004

Great question, Ed!

First, a note about coaching and 'study aids'  - screen shots at
http://www.angelfire.com/nj3/rixplanes/scoring_analysis__coaching_aids.htm
-- if anyone wants the real sheets/ powerpoints shown I can send / post.

*Coaches  / coaching* -- Besides being a great T-shirt shopper and contest
morale booster, Kathy is willing to come to most of my practice sessions
during the week - I made her a set of sequence diagrams in Power point -
showing the geometry for each maneuver - and diagram sets for both flight
directions. She watches the flight and marks problem areas in each maneuver,
then after each flight we go over her notes.

*Study aids* - Though people say that contest scores don't matter, a couple
years ago I started tracking my raw scores by contest /by round/ by judge
(no names- just the data) in an Excel spreadsheet, and color coding by those
scores -

0=magenta / 5= red/ 6=orange/ 7=yellow / 8=blue / 9=green / 10 (rrrriiight!)
= dark green

and  with high-K maneuvers highlighted in bold, italics, underline or some
combination.

At the beginning of a season there's been lots of red/ orange / yellow. and
that gives a place to start - the target being to make the sheet turn blue
or green.

Easy to pick up trends for a problem maneuver (vertical column of yellow) or
a bad round (rows of yellow/ red) . and the ZEROS stick out like a sore
thumb.

So now to the base question.

I've been lucky enough to be able to get out during the week, as well as on
weekends -

First flight is as for contest from centered takeoff to exiting the box.
Then for the rest of that tank, either practice the stinkers, w/ preceding
and succeeding maneuvers, or re-fly the whole thing if nothing stuck out
(and if the coach didn't laugh too hard at something in particular)

Then after EACH flight, go over maneuver by maneuver w/ the coach and what
she saw.

**She is also the one who spots long term trends I hadn't caught, like
"You're always coming out of left-side turnarounds in a slight climb"

After the first flight, usually fly an entire pattern w/ either focus on the
previous flight's problems, or on the high-payoff maneuvers from the score
analysis sheet - the ones w/ high K and bad colors.

3-4 flights / reviews - when there's time, esp early in the season - is
about a max session for us most afternoons.

** Laughter or the "What the h3ll was that?! " comments from Kathy usually
indicate it's time for a break.

When I'm out alone, there's often considerable time w/ the stick plane
between flights figuring out why that maneuver was funny, and why I ended up
in so tight after this other one. (usually the answer's 'wings level', btw)

Long post - hope it helps -

Rick

AMA89045

NSRCA 2972