A possible answer to lousy judging "Flash cards"

Lance Van Nostrand patterndude at comcast.net
Sat Apr 17 11:53:04 AKDT 2004

More open communication will help the sport, in my opinion.  I have invited friends and family to contests to watch.  I have talked to news stations that come to contests to report.  I have been part of contests where we get a bunch of local club volunteers to help out.  the comments by all these groups of people is exactly the same: viewers have no idea what is going on or what they are watching and they get bored very quickly and never want to return.  When is a particular flight significant?  All the manuvers look great to the uninitiated, so showing them scores along the way will develop their appreciation.Watching golf is boring to most people, even golfers - but at least they play a different hole each time.  We fly the same thing over and over.  Posting manuver scores and announcing pilots is the only way to connect with any spectator.

Internally, within our own secret society, the value stems from improved communications.  We'll all get better practice at judging, even if we only watch an occasional manuver, judge it, and then compare our score to the real judges.  If the real judge is a person we respect, we might identify something to talk over a beer later.

--Lance