Interesting Motor Discovery-OS1.60

Bob Pastorello rcaerobob at cox.net
Sat Apr 17 11:25:02 AKDT 2004

Finally got around to getting the Wagstaff Extra airworthy, after not being run for the winter.  Felt rough, so tore it down.  Bearing was not really bad, although a little rust was present (wasn't a SS bearing).  Upon investigation, noting the serious lack of compression, I proceeded to replace the bearing.
    While the piston was out, of course I cleaned it....lo and behold...RING rusted SOLID in the groove.  After careful working with my Amsoil spray, it freed, and I cleaned the groove.
    What was interesting was oil on top of the cylinder, and on the cylinder wall (not a lot, but a film was there)...and the side of the piston around the ring groove was bone dry.

Fixed it all up, ran like a top, very smooth - so shoudl be good to go.  I have never seen a ring stuck like this before, and just thought I'd share the tale in case anyone runs into inexplicable roughness and low compression....

Bob Pastorello
rcaerobob at cox.net
www.rcaerobats.net