A possible answer to lousy judging "Flash cards"

Rcmaster199 at aol.com Rcmaster199 at aol.com
Sat Apr 17 11:05:27 AKDT 2004

Mike Im not sure why everyone "needs" to see the scores each judge gives. The
spectator sport is to watch the flying, not kill the judge if the spectator
does not agree with the judge's scoring habits

Years ago we used to employ a chief judge at many local meets. One of the
jobs of the chief judge was to review the judges' scoring habits, and sort of
look over their shoulder. He would often discuss issues with the judges after a
round. I know I did, and so did my judging mentor. This was never intended to
alter the judges' standards and seldom did. The reviews simply would touch on
specific issues observed.

Now only the large meets employ a chief judge and that's good, but isn't
enough in my opinion. I wouldn't mind at all if we started to employ chief judges
again. It is of particular importance now, with contestant judging the norm,
and new blood entering the arena all the time

Although discussion with the contestant after his round is done, is
discouraged in the present methodology of running the contests, I tend to give some
constructive criticism to some contestants when I feel they are making the same
mistakes often
. Sportsman and Intermediate pilots are particularly vulnerable to
misinterpretation
of the geometries or rules, but others have also been informed of what I see.
Not everyone is open to this so I am careful and discrete. I see many
seasoned judges do this and I feel is a far better approach than showing all one's
scores.

The seasoned pilot usually already knows what he has done wrong so talking
with him or her, other than praising him or her for a well flown round, is
counterproductive. But the folks in the lower classes, particularly the new ones
with possibly little real exposure to other Pattern pilots back home, would
benefit the most.

MattK