Mintor Review

Wayne Galligan wgalligan at goodsonacura.com
Thu Apr 1 09:40:43 AKST 2004

Dean,

Great review on the Mintor.   I have been running the 1.70 for awhile now.
There a few things I would like to pass along about either of these engines
when disassembling and  reassembling them.

1.  When replacing the o-rings in the carb be very careful with them as the
inner ring may split and wreak havoc in the midrange adjustment. After
chasing the a rich midrange issue I discovered this problem.  I found using
a silicon gel on the o-ring helped get the oring to slide in and seat a
little easier.  You have to push the assembly in smoothly and straight and
with firm pressure hold the assembly in for a few seconds to let the o-ring
set before tightening the screw that holds the assembly in.  The inner
o-ring on mine was split and I could tell it was unless you twisted the
o-ring and it revealed a cut the length of the o-ring.

2.  As Dean stated in his article carefully tighten the cylinder bolts to
avoid distorting the case of cylinder.  Any binding at all while turning the
crank will indicate improper torque.

3. Replacing the pump into the back of the case is very tight also. Care is
needed here to not mar the sharp edges of the pump case when inserting. DO
NOT force this part at all.  When you get it lined up it will slide right
in. The tolerances on this engine are some of the closest I have ever seen
on an engine.

This thing loves the 17x13 APC and I know of some that are experiencing good
performance with a repitched 3 blade prop.  I may try the std pitch 3 blade
to see how it pulls.

Smooth FLying...

Wayne Galligan