Composite Pipe Repair

Dave Smith davidsmith at ns.sympatico.ca
Wed Sep 24 11:32:21 AKDT 2003

"The other problem is that the stinger part gets oil soaked so does not let glue get in there."

For three years I flew an ES pipe with a long stinger,and no problems.
This past summer I somehow broke the stinger at the bend,not a total break,just about 50% on the outside of the bend.
I cleaned the area as well as I could,applied hi-temp silicone to the area,then applied a thin piece of silcone tubing that was sliced lengthwise over the break. This was then secured with small tie wraps.
Not ideal,but it worked for a few dozen flights,but is now leaking again.  Time for another patch,or just live with the mess on the fuse.
Next one of these will have a flex joint applied to the stinger.

Regards,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Dave