What type of Teflon for headers?

Dennis Cone cone.man at verizon.net
Sun Sep 14 17:48:28 AKDT 2003

Teflon tube,
Just so every one knows this tubing is used for water line services mostly
to and inside of house services. It has a high burst pressure and has a high
temperature rating making it ideal for hot water use. Some municipalities
allow this tubing to be used to plumb whole houses. It comes in several
sizes and normally joined using a tool that expands the tubing and then is
inserted onto the fitting. It has a high memory which when heated to the
point that it turn’s clear and tied into a knot will when reheated return to
it’s original shape. It is true it is available at Mc Master Carr but they
do not sell to the modeling public but instead to the industrial trade.  It
may also be available at the local industrial plumbing store but they may
not have the size you need in stock as the size modelers use is smaller than
most water lines in homes. The largest size I have seen is ¾”.  I have lots
of this tubing in my drawer but never use it as 2-cycles don’t need it. Just
thought a little history behind the source of this tubing would be of
interest. Of course there may be many more uses that I am not aware of.

Dennis Cone
SCM Consultants, Inc.
Municipal Group
7601 West Clearwater Ave.