Control horns, is it just me or... ?

Keith Black tkeithb at comcast.net
Wed Sep 3 08:33:33 AKDT 2003

That looks quite interesting. I do have a couple of concerns however.

Given that the mounting plate (foot) is perpendicular to the arm when the
arm is mounted on a control surface with an air foil shape the arm will
actually be pointing backwards away from the hinge line. To avoid this one
would either need to prop up the back side of the mounting plate or recess
the front of the plate down into the control surface. With this particular
design it seems that you'd have to cut pretty deeply into the control
surface on the leading edge to get the arm to be perpendicular to the hinge
line.

Second concern is that the arm is not located on the edge of the mounting
plate, which means that it would be moved back a bit from the bevel thus
offsetting the advantage of the longer arm.

I promise I'm not trying to be difficult ;-)

Keith Black