Decline of pattern / Translation

David Harmon K6XYZ at comcast.net
Fri Oct 17 12:11:43 AKDT 2003

Jeff....I disagree where you said...

>> I think the time of two day
contests is over and we should focus on one day contests. This would
be better for the contestants and better use of the fields we use.<<<

My view is that if a guy is interested enough in pattern to spend enough
money, time and effort to acquire the equipment and go to a contest, he
does not view pattern as a hobby.
He views it as a way of life, a sport, what he does when he isn't
working, most of the time he thinks about it when he should be thinking
about something else, an avocation/obsession.....you get the idea.
If contests would be only 1 day as you suggest, then the situation in
your view would be twice as bad as what you say.....2 days and 3
flights? Many contests are too big to be only 1 day with 6 flights. The
folks that run the contest usually pay the home club for both days so
it's not like the club is not earning anything. Many club members that
don't enter the contest come to the field anyway to just watch and yak
with their friends and perhaps meet some new ones as well as get
exposure to Pattern.
If you go to a 2 day contest for only 1 day, you are really
shortchanging yourself and your friends out of another day of fun.
Contests aren't that often anyway so you might as well stay both days
and have a ball.

Regards

Dave Harmon
NSRCA 586