Decline of pattern / Translation

Jeff Hughes jhughes at hsonline.net
Fri Oct 17 11:53:37 AKDT 2003

I've trained and counseled a couple of fliers at our field who were
good enought to fly pattern. I took two of them to contests (separate
times). Both never went to another contest. To many, this is a hobby
and spending three days to get in 6 flights is not a good use of their
time. I personally only attend contests that I can drive to and fro in
a day and never go back on Sunday. I think the time of two day
contests is over and we should focus on one day contests. This would
be better for the contestants and better use of the fields we use.

> Every club newletter I write up begins with what a good time it is
to see everyone and the friendships that have been made.  Including
that this is the reeason for competing.

> I disagree most don't get it.  Look at the number of sport pilots
that go to fly ins to see old friends.  It is there.  Look at the
coffee crew(old farts, geezers or what ever each club has a name for
then, albeit affectionately)  They put one flight in but talk for
hours, they get it.

> We have to realize most either don't want to compete for what ever
reason, and/or in our society of instant gratification don't want to
strive towards a goal.  I believe this is the biggest problem..

> Lets take a difficult but very rewarding manuever, the rolling
circle.  Took me a solid summer of failed attempts to achieve a very
ugly 4 roll roller.  Then another 2 years to get to make the thing
look decent for IMAC.  No one in our 100 member club has any desire to
work at something that dedicatedly just to be able to do it.  Herein
lies the problem.

> I don't believe Pattern needs to change.  I don't believe we are
doing anything wrong either.  The simple fact is Pattern requires a
commitment, with effort, to accomplish the goal of flying better and
most are simply not willing to make that commitment.  This is fine as
we live in America and should be able to choose.  What we do have to
do is accept how things are and work from there.  As stated in an
earlier discussion, when someone shows interest then we can try to get
them to give Pattern a whirl.

> Just my thoughts.
>
> ed

flyers to get them to at least give it a shot?

>   I think you just did.
>
>   Gray Fowler told me pretty much the same thing you've said
regarding the fellowship and I found that very appealing. In addition
he let me know that most beginning sportsman fliers are all over the
sky at their first contests and I shouldn't worry about not being good
enough. That and a little bit of urging got me to my first contest.

>   I personally was quite worried about flying in front of judges,
but looked at it as a personal challenge to overcome. When I flew my
first round without crashing I was delighted.

>   Of course you have to realize that people get the same type of
fellowship and camaraderie from other activities and groups as well.
Also, it takes a certain type of personality to be afraid of something
and consider that a *reason* to do it. Therefore my reasons for
jumping in won't apply to everyone.

>   So next time someone asks you about pattern flying don't forget to
tell them about the fellowship, I'm proof that's a persuasive part of
the equation.

>   Keith Black

inspired from an off list conversation with a pattern buddy.

>       We go to pattern competitions and most of the time we love it.
I have had great pattern weekends in Lancaster, Oh. in a nearly
constant downpour and realized that the flying and competition are
only half the story. What we experience at a contest does not
translate well to sport pilots. I know, at least for me, that when I
tell sport flyers about contests we talk about the planes and the
manuevers. Unfortunately the friendships made, the sportsmanship, the
camaraderie, the fellowships, and the sense of accomplishment, just do
not translate well to people who have not experienced it. I always
struggle when I'm asked, often, what you get for winning. They never
quite understand that the trophy is only half the story.

--
CoreComm Webmail.
http://home.core.com

# discussion-request at nsrca.org