Glassing wing center section

jim ivey jivey61 at msn.com
Mon Nov 24 16:27:29 AKST 2003

Jerry
The next time after the epoxy is applied smooth it with wax paper or the
backing  from a piece of monokote. That would smooth it as it cures.More
epoxy at this stage just adds weight. Sand it out now and fill the edges
with micro balloons or balsa filler. That will work good at this point.
The other method I like is to tape off and spray the area with contact glue
like C77 then apply the glass cloth. the C77 holds the cloth down. Now drip
thin CA over the cloth and rub in with monocote backing. You have to work
quick and have plenty of ventilation. I run a floor fan and have outside
door to the basement open. This sands out good also. Fill as above with
filler etc. I think this method is a little lighter.

Hope this answers the question.

Jim Ivey

jivey61 at msn.com

>From: "Jerry Wilson" <JWilsonJr at houston.rr.com>
>To: <discussion at nsrca.org>
>Subject: Glassing wing center section
>Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 19:07:27 -0600
>
>I'm glassing the center section of my Elan.  Using 6 oz/yard K&B cloth
>and 30 minute epoxy warmed with a heat gun on application.  The epoxy
>brushes on well and when dry the weave of the cloth is noticeable.  In
>other words the surface is not a smooth glasslike finish.  Is this OK or
>do I need more epoxy applied for strength?
>
>Thanks,
>Jerry Wilson
>Katy,TX
>NSRCA#3107
>AMA#119585

># To be removed from this list, send a message to
># discussion-request at nsrca.org
># and put leave discussion on the first line of the body.
>#

Gift-shop online from the comfort of home at MSN Shopping!  No crowds, free
parking.  http://shopping.msn.com

# discussion-request at nsrca.org