Bigger Issues

Ron Van Putte vanputte at cox.net
Wed Nov 19 13:35:34 AKST 2003

On Nov 19, 2003, at 1:10 PM, Jerry Budd wrote:

> I don't believe that AMA "inadvertently" gave the IMAC folks control,
> they (AMA) simply didn't have any choice in the matter.  The word I'm
> getting is that the IMAC community was fully willing to break away
> from AMA if that was what it was going to take to get what they (IMAC)
> reasonably wanted.  At that point AMA is faced with having some
> control or no control.  Saying AMA "inadvertently lost control" is at
> best "spin" and at worst a lie.

I don't think it was because the IMAC people were willing to break away
from AMA.  In conversations with contest board members, I determined
that that, because the contest board members were predominantly
pattern-oriented, they didn't understand/have strong feelings about
proposals by IMAC, so they didn't want to vote against them.  As a
result, the IMAC proposals for control over their maneuvers
descriptions and sequences were passed by the contest board, without
the AMA higher ups knowing about it.  I call that having "inadvertently
lost control".  They had found out what they'd lost by the time I
proposed the NSRCA-controlled annex system and were dead set against
it; they didn't even allow the contest board to vote on it.

> I just don't understand why we (NSRCA) are willing to simply lie down
> and get run over on this by AMA.
>
> Do you have any idea why?

As long as we operate under AMA, we are subject to the AMA rules and
regulations.  My rule change proposal to have NSRCA control the
maneuver descriptions and maneuver schedules was rejected by the AMA
Executive Council.  Short of bolting AMA, I don't think NSRCA has any
choice in this matter.  If that is a demonstration that "we (NSRCA) are
willing to simply lie down and get run over on this by AMA", I guess
we're stuck with it.

Ron Van Putte

# discussion-request at nsrca.org