Receivers - Range - Low/High Banded

Brian Young b4598070 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 18 06:09:21 AKST 2003

Im interested in learning about the receiver range.

Recently I had a reciever from Futaba a 149, which was
involved in a crash. This receiver had range with the
antennae collapsed to 400 feet or better. The receiver
was damaged beyond repair, and Futaba Service center
offered an exchange at a discount. So I received the
new receiver which range checks to 100ft w/ antennae
collapsed, this is beyond Futabas specification so I
fly it. Seems fine. This receiver was received w/
crystal but was tagged low band. So Futaba has
receivers available low band/high band so they dont
have to stock them w/ crystals. Does this tend to
compromise the range somewhat for various bands (ie,
would range benefit from tuning to the specific
frequency rather than to a point which perhaps covers
a 25 channel range)?

(Ive had a similar experience but in reverse on two
other receivers.)