Rule Change Survey Results

Ron Van Putte vanputte at cox.net
Sat Nov 15 16:32:41 AKST 2003

On Nov 15, 2003, at 11:27 AM, Gene Maurice wrote:

> Can someone please explain to me why the rules proposal, submission,
> voting, approval, and implementation process takes so long. There is
> nearly 2 1/2 years from conception to birth. Hell, elephant gestation
> is only 22 months!!!!
>
> I'm not taking shots at anyone, just curious why it takes so long.

You need to ask AMA.  We (and many other SIGs) protested the change to
a 3-year rule change cycle.  We lost; they weren't interested in our
input.  They had already decided to save rule book publishing costs by
publishing every three years instead of every two years.  Of course our
logic that e-mail and the internet should speed up the process, not
slow it down,  was not of interest to AMA.  Try to get a straight
answer out of them why we have a 3-year rule change cycle.

Ron Van Putte