Landing (was Re: Re: Spoilers for Pattern Planes?????)

Jerry Budd jbudd at QNET.COM
Tue Nov 11 20:52:04 AKST 2003

>Personally think TO and Landing should remained scored.  This is
>what seperates Pattern Pilots from other disciplines many times.
>The ability to control the airplane in the air(especially after
>rotation and before touchdown) is IMO as important as the ability to
>stop a spin.

I always thought that the biggest thing that separated "Pattern
Pilots" from other disciplines was the patterns we flew.  Performing
takeoffs and landings are about the only thing we really have in
common with other modelers.

>I don't think of straight and level flight as aerobatic but it has
>been judged as such for a number of years.  Still think it is
>probably the hardest "thing" to do though.

Straight and level flight (other than in Novice/Sportsman) has never
been an aerobatic maneuver (hey! to EVL-1).  Rather straight and
level flight is the delimiter between aerobatic maneuvers.  In the
same sense takeoffs and landings are the delimiter between "pattern
flights".  They really have no relevance to the patterns we fly.

Jerry
--
Jerry Budd
mailto:jbudd at qnet.com