Landing (was Re: Re: Spoilers for Pattern Planes?????)

davel322 at comcast.net davel322 at comcast.net
Tue Nov 11 14:41:06 AKST 2003

Respectfully, I must disagree.

If the rules aren't being followed, they should not be eliminated.

Barrel rolls and "twinkle" rolls pretending to be snap rolls routinely get
scored and should be zeroed.  Should we stop judging snaps?

Flopped stall turns (more than 150 degrees off in roll axis) routinely are not
zeroed.  Should we stop judging stall turns?

Judging is not an easy task, and there will always be room for improvement.
Where the rules are gray (no matter how clear they seemed when originally
authored) and interpreted in various ways, there is room to clarify the rules.
When the rules are clear and ignored, they need to be politely enforced.

So far as landing - we have a system for scoring centering on maneuvers and I
personally don't think we need something different for landing - it is just an
additional rule that adds needless complexity (but I will follow it as long as
it is there).  Besides, at many fields, the landing zone is never marked, or
because of field layout, the landing zone is not used (in which case landing in
the zone or centering of the landing would not be part of the judging criteria).

Dave Lockhart
DaveL322 at comcast.net

# discussion-request at nsrca.org