FAI 2 turn opposite spin judging

Wayne Powell service at clubmanprops.com
Wed Jun 11 17:32:45 AKDT 2003

A question for the judging experts in the group...

In FAI there is a 4 turn spin, 2 each in opposite directions.  For the sake
of this question, assume a strong 90' blow-in crosswind.  Approaching from
left to right, the aircraft is crabbed 45 degrees to keep on the line and
opts to enter the spin to the left. If this were a 3 turn spin, per the rule
book, the pilot would be expected to perform slightly less than 3 complete
rotations to end up with wings perpendicular to the flight line, 2 and 7/8
rotations.

In the FAI spin, should I expect to see 1 and 7/8 to perpendicular followed
by 2 full turns in the opposite direction?  I'm looking to understand what
the center point when changing directions of the spin will look like.

BTW, learned something on the humpty discussion this week - I've been flying
the Masters humpty with options wrong for 2 years when I didn't opt for 1/4
rolls!  I'll do better this weekend...

Thanks!

Wayne Powell
Bolly Props North America