Wrong Maneuver issues

WHIP23 at aol.com WHIP23 at aol.com
Wed Jun 11 12:23:50 AKDT 2003

Hi Eric

I'll take these on

In a message dated 6/11/03 1:00:09 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
Eric.Henderson at gartner.com writes:

> The idea of callers "helping" judges sounds good but is not at all good in
> practice.

 I want my caller to help the judges understand what we are doing, I've put a
lot of
> effort into this and if I can help the judges get it correct then that is
> to my benefit.
>
> First of all, you have to be close enough to hear. Pilots do not want or
> need maneuvers shouted at them or even given in full text descriptions.

No need to shout and I have never found any need or suggested that the caller
modify his call sheet in any way for the judges, just speak loud enough for
the judges to hear, if the pilot can fly what is called I can judge it.
Usually this is simply speaking in a normal voice, rather than whispering in the
pilots ear, like there is something secret here

> Secondly, some pilots do not actually have them called.

If the pilot does not want the maneuver called then the caller is free to
call for the judges

> Thirdly, many pilots get the maneuvers verbalized in pairs so that they can
> set up for the next center maneuver.

Again call for the pilot, just speak loud enough so the judges can hear, if
the pilot can remember it long enough to fly it, I can remember it long enough
to judge it.

> Last on this list, but not least, almost all pilots have the maneuver called
> before the current one is finished.

Same thing, if the pilot can deal with it while flying then I can deal with
it while judging.

> I am a big advocate of keeping the judges and the pilots apart in all ways
> during the flight.

If that were the case I would have less issue with the scribes calling the
maneuvers for the judges, one of my biggest issues is that if the scribes call
the maneuvers then I hear the maneuver three times, once from the caller and
once from each scribe, at three different times, probably in three different
forms.  The reality is that I have never been to a local contest where the judges
and pilots were separated and most fields don't have the room for this.  And
none of the above would solve the issue of the additional manpower that having
scribes requires.

Last on my list is the fact that, by the time I get to a contest, to compete,
I have a great deal of time, effort and money invested so I WANT my caller to
make it as easy for the judges to understand what if going on as possible.
If the scribe gets it wrong I as the pilot will get the poor score, so seems
like having my caller present the maneuver description, as I chose to have it
presented, is to my benefit.  Otherwise I'm at the mercy of a stranger of
unknown talent, knowledge or experience.

My work here is done :-)

Bob