battery question

Ron Van Putte vanputte at nuc.net
Thu Jul 31 10:38:58 AKDT 2003

Wayne Galligan wrote:

> Well now that the Prophecy is gone and its replacement is near ready I
> and I have considerable time now on the Aries with digitals I am going
> to use the coreless servos in the new airship(mainly cause I is
> getting cash strapped).  I will or should probably be able to tell the
> difference if all of this is true.  If I do realize the difference
> then its time to ante up and get some more digitals.
> The main crux of my question though... Aren't std corelss servo's less
> severe on battery drain then digitals?.

You need to have 'apples-to-apples' comparisons.  There are standard
servos with standard motors and standard servos with coreless motors.
 Similarly, there are digital servos with standard motors and digital
servos with coreless motors.  My estimate of the order of increasing
battery consumption would be standard servos with standard motors, then
standard servos with coreless motors, then digital servos with standard
motors and finally, digital servos with coreless motors.  However, as
the "Pentagon-dwelling weenies" used to say when I was an Air Force
engineer, "But I could be wrong."

Ron Van Putte