NEW concept? for pattern entry.

Del Rykert drykert at rochester.rr.com
Tue Jul 29 09:05:57 AKDT 2003

Adding my thought..

        What got me involved was a one time prod from a pattern flier. But He flew a Dirty Birdy and I already had a Super Kaos which was in my eyes coming from the same family. I felt I had equipment already in my hanger that would allow me to enter and not be looked down to by the top dawgs. HEH!  perceptions do count in getting the first time pilots to try pattern. With more top fliers using ARF's that are readily attainable and perceived to be viable other fliers have an easier time to make the choice to try it. As has often been mentioned on this list it isn't everyone's cup of tea to be chasing perfection. What is lost that you don't have to fly perfect to have a lot of fun and bring home some hardware from local contests. NATS... a different story.  When a local club member actually witnesses that experience it can be infectious and a few more jump in. Restrictive flying fields and longer drive to contests all hurt attendance. The move to turnaround hurt attendance but has garnered a better crop of pilots.

    I don't see a large influx of general AMA members getting involved unless some drastic watering down of this sport are made and I don't feel that is the right thing to do. Case in point. I have offered my pattern ship to local club members to fly and am turned down by the majority all the time. I tell them it is easier to fly than a trainer. One guy did take the sticks and said he was really impressed with how easy it flew. In his next breath said I work weekends and that is when they have contests don't they? It don't help when some in the peanut gallery say things like how can you see that and tell what it is doing when I am at the edges of the box. They can see the center stage maneuvers which they always like to see and that was one thing that helped capture my interest is watching that fellow pattern flier do a long low slow roll right on a rail. Course it lasted over 8 secs and was impressive as all get out. That is what hooked me.

     Del K. Rykert
     AMA - 8928
     NSRCA - 473
     Kb2joi - General