fixed gear vs. retracts

john rcpilotjohn at wideopenwest.com
Thu Jul 17 10:29:58 AKDT 2003

You need to practice those full stall landings... hehehe  I never saw an
ATP do that with a jumbo jet... those are all controlled crashes with
lots of braking once they hit the ground.  Somewhat reinforced gear on
them big birds!

I would modify the advice George gave - go to the airport and spend the
$ for a short lesson from a qualified CFI, talk to him (her) ahead of
time and let him explain and demonstrate the mechanics of a good
landing.

I was pursuing a private license years ago and actually got through the
solo sequence twice, 13 years apart... wife decided a house was a more
necessary way to spend money than a pilot's license the first time, and
I went back to school and had no time to continue the second time. But I
would never have quit the second time if my instructor had not dorked up
her knee as one of the Luvabulls and then got fired for participating in
a dangerous outside activity. I would have found a way to make time to
sit next to her for an hour a week! Love them small planes they used as
trainers!

Let's see, I think it has been about 8 years since that second try,
almost time to think about another shot.  Maybe.  But that experience
did help me a little, I do try to stall the plane an inch off the
ground, hold it off till it stops flying, etc.  Gear tends to survive,
but the plane takes a beating running out of runway and into the weeds!

John