Fuel Question... Why the metal cans?

Martin X. Moleski, SJ moleski at canisius.edu
Mon Jul 7 08:28:52 AKDT 2003

--On Monday, July 07, 2003 10:42 AM -0400 Anthony Romano <anthonyr105 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> A local hobby shop owner told me he was limited by the local fire marshal in how
> much fuel he could keep in the store. Anyone know any easy, inconspicuous way to
> check this for a residence?

I found out that I was WAAAAAAAAY over the limit for homes
in Buffalo, NY, because our residence was renovated a few
years ago.  At the time, I think I had 20 gallons of fuel
in the basement.

A friend donated a Flammable Liquids Storage Cabinet for
our basement.  It has a fan attached that runs continously.
The cabinet is vented to the outside.  I'm keeping less
fuel on hand than I used to--I'm also flying less because
of sundry extracurricular activities.

I was shown the provisions of our local code by our
architect.  I can't remember the numbers now, but
I know that what you can keep in the house is pretty
limited.  Outdoor storage (garage, shed) is regulated,
too, in the Buffalo code, if I remember correctly.

I'm afraid that my workshop still wouldn't pass muster
if anyone looked too closely at all of the solvents,
paints and generally burnable stuff that I have on
my shelves.  :o(

YMMV.

Marty #2874
# discussion-request at nsrca.org