avoidance rule

Tomanek, Wojtek tomanekw at saic-abingdon.com
Fri Jan 31 05:26:16 AKST 2003

Georgie

I would have to disagree with this proposal, if you angle two flight lines
from each other they will have a cross point which may endanger the planes
during every other turnaround maneuver.  At least when you fly parallel, the
possibility or midair is a lot smaller and there is a higher chance that
either one or two pilots will notice the other plane in the vicinity and can
keep a safe distance.  I am sure you have seen two planes going into a stall
turn at the same time, with the leading one always waiting for the other one
to initiate the turn first.  The problem with the parallel flights is that
only one pilot can fly at 175 m, the other one is forced to fly closer or
further out and risk downgrades but that is a different issue.  Still it is
a safer option.

WKT