Battery Question

s.vannostrand at kodak.com s.vannostrand at kodak.com
Mon Jan 13 07:54:34 AKST 2003

Since they are truly parallel systems, the capacities add.  With 3400 mah
you could fly cross country.  Hopefully you are wired so you can test each
battery separately.  If this is a pattern ship, you might consider 2 800
mah packs.  I like the idea of parallel batterys if there is a concern
about being able to source current fast enough, however I don't know if
this is a problem with NiCds.

 In EE terms, the source impedance is a way of expressing the ability of a
battery to supply a spike of current.  I've heard that Li-ion and Nimh
have much higher source impedances than NiCds.  Actually that Li-ion is
the worst and NiCds are the best of the three.  However, what I don't know
(and htere are people on both sides of this) is if any of these batterys
have a souce impedance that is too high.  In other words, in a plane with
6 digital servos potentially moving together at the same time, would any
of these battery types be unable to supply the current needed to inhibit
proper servo performance?

--Lance