Idle/Braking (was Re: Winter / Focus / Fuel/Electric.)

davel322 at comcast.net davel322 at comcast.net
Thu Dec 4 07:05:42 AKST 2003

As most modelers, I don't have math to substantiate it, but a clean widebody does not add much drag.  There have been prior posts to this list noting that a cleanly shaped widebody fuse contributes a small percentage of drag to the overall airframe.

I found Amir's post interesting - the 1.2 number was derived (if I read his post accurately) from actual experiments.

>From all the re-pitching of APC propellers I have done (with an old Prather pitch gauge), I can tell you without a doubt that the reading on the Prather does not match the stated pitch of the prop - my understanding from APC is that the true pitch of the prop is the centerline of the prop airfoil - which rarely matches the flat side (bottom) of the prop.  The bottom of the prop is still a good reference tho.

Idle speed - I'm pretty comfortable stating I can tell a difference in 200 RPM (give or take 10% of idle speed) on a pattern plane I am familiar with.  Similarly, I can tell the difference in braking with a 1" pitch change on the prop (also give or take about 10%).

Regards,

Dave Lockhart
DaveL322 at comcast.net

# discussion-request at nsrca.org