Idle/Braking (was Re: Winter / Focus / Fuel/Electric.)

John Ferrell johnferrell at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 4 11:06:40 AKST 2003

RE: " As most modelers, I don't have math to substantiate it, but a clean
widebody does not add much drag.  There have been prior posts to this list
noting that a cleanly shaped widebody fuse contributes a small percentage of
drag to the overall airframe."

Well, if you you fly a Prophecy with a YS140 and a Focus with a YS140 at the
same weight, the Prophecy has lots of excess power. The Focus has enough. I
am not sure about that qualifier "cleanly shaped".  The Prophecy seems best
with a 15-12APC and the Focus with a 16-10 APC.  I don't see much difference
in the airplanes other than the fuselage.

I will be tucking away your response for further consideration because you
are one of those flyers I can watch and learn better than I can fly and
learn!

I gather that you are saying as far as you can tell, the slower the idle,
the better the braking? If so,  we are in agreement. The training manual is
wrong.

If you consider the situation of a windmill extracting the power from the
wind I would expect the power extracted to be proportional to the square of
the rotor velocity.

John Ferrell
6241 Phillippi Rd
Julian NC 27283